Monday, August 25, 2014

Yard Sales: Chic or Cheap?

I have lived my entire life mere miles from the sea and the richest island in the world. I live in southeast Florida, home to billionaires and beach bums alike. Let me tell you what SoFlo isn't really known for, but should be...yard sales. We have them every Saturday (weather permitting). It is such common practice that most of the people I know occasionally or regularly go out on Saturday mornings looking for a good buy. I have seen people that I know live like millionaires (I think they were but who really knows what's in someone else's bank account) at a yard sale. It's not really looked down on in my town. In fact, if someone tells you about the great deal they scored last weekend you should congratulate them (although secretly you grit your teeth because they got it and you chose to sleep in).
Here's the thing you should be aware of before you embark at 7:15AM on a Saturday: it's feast or famine. Seriously, I think I've gone out before without finding one thing, and then the next time I'm trying to cram it all into the back of my SUV. So, if at first you don't succeed....you know.
This past weekend was a feast:
Teeter Totter & Pop-up bus = 7.00 (But he didn't have the right change, so it ended up being 6.50)
Amazing Shoe Organizer = 15.00
Elmo (Little man loves Elmo) Potty training DVD .50
Total Cost $22.00
My shoes have never been so organized! (The heels didn't fit:( I have to go and buy three new pairs now, so I won't have empty spaces, right?)


 I decided to go around the house and snap a few pictures of some of my previous yard sale finds. The prices may be a little off, because I've had some of these things for years:
This little rocking chair just needed a fresh coat of paint. 

This huge (probably close to 3ft. wide), decorative bird cage had a little damage. Nothing a wreath couldn't hide:)

(We used this as a prop in Little Man's newborn pictures)


Also, I have had really great luck on Craigslist and local Facebook yard sale sites.


I like to buy toys this way because I never know what my little guy will play with and I hate wasting money on a toy that sits in the bin. My standard way of cleaning (sterilizing) these toys is with rubbing alcohol. I also you hot, soapy water, but almost always rubbing alcohol.

Cheap or Chic depends on your point of view, but I think they can be economically chic. Enjoy the treasure hunting, folks! 

2 comments :