Thursday, August 14, 2014

What's In My Bag?



Do you read US Weekly Magazine? It's my favorite celebrity magazine. Although, since my little guy came along, I rarely see one. They have a section where a celebrity shows What's In My Bag, and they artistically "dump" the contents of their purse. Well, this is sort of like that, except I would have to go and buy pretty, perfect new versions of my favorite things, and artfully arrange everything, and get the proper lighting, etc.. It seems like a lot of work when I'm not fooling you or anyone else for that matter. My purse looks like a war zone. So, I'll simply list the things that help this mommy keep her sanity.


  1.  Shredded Cheese - Seems weird right? My little man loves cheese, and has from early on. I worried about him choking on cheese, until one day I put a pile of shredded cheese on his tray. We haven't looked back since. 
  2.   Multiple "Lovies" - My dear friend brought a little Sock Monkey "Lovie" to the hospital when Little Man was born. When we realized this would be his little companion throughout babyhood, I went to the store and bought three more: one for home, one for the car, one for nana & papaw's house and one for just in case. It has made life so much easier!
  3.  Organic Lollipops - Now that Little Man is old enough to eat one the without sticky drool draining down his chin to his arm to his hand to everything nice I own, they are a life saver. Examples: Long lines, waiting rooms, lengthy car rides, etc.
  4.  Disposable, Adhesive Place Mats - You can find them all over, but Walmart has them. There are 10 to a pack. I put one down when we go to restaurants and I don't have to worry about him licking the table where another germ infested toddler has just done the exact same thing in the exact same spot.
  5.  NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - this one's for you! Recently my friend let me try her eye brightener (just once) and I was hooked. Goodbye haggard dark circles and bags brought on from being awake all hours with your bundle of joy. Hello bright eyes! This is by far the most expensive thing on my single item, and by far the most expensive make-up I've ever owned, but oh so worth it. 
  6.  Antibacterial Wipes - You already know this, but being a germaphobe, they help me stay sane. I use them everywhere! Literally! 
  7.  Count 1 to 10 App - Little man went from jabbering random numbers here and there at 22 months to counting one through 10 all by himself at 23 months! There are two particular games: the Number Pop Game and the Count Along Game. Seriously, it's great!
  8.  Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds - another one for you! A guilt free, quick snack (because going out for a leisurely lunch with your girlfriends isn't an option anymore) you can grab on the go. They taste like candy. Even my hubby likes them, and he does NOT like almonds. 
  9. Aquaphor - Use this for lots of things: diaper rash, chapped lips, dry skin... (Soapbox Alert) As a former wound care nurse, I hate Neopsorin. Almost everyone knows that you shouldn't use Peroxide anymore (unless it's a really dirty wound) because it is so caustic it kills the good cells along with the bad. Well, Neopsorin does the same thing, plus it dries out the wound. Letting something "dry out" and scab over is not the best way to heal anything. Studies show that scabbing leaves more scars and takes longer to heal. So, if Little Man gets a boo-boo (and it looks clean) I put Aquaphor on it to keep it moist and cover with a Band-aid. Viola! It is magic on my dry hands too.
  10. Date Night - Now I know this doesn't fit in a bag, and not everyone is blessed by having grandparents close by, but if you can manage it, it is so important. I was whining to my BFF a while ago about never getting/making time with my hubby since we were always with our son, and she said basically this, "You and he will always love your son, but you may not always love each other. You have to make the time." She is wise beyond her years (you know who you are). There are two things that must be done with great advice. First, you listen to it (we are going to dinner and the new TMNT movie this weekend), and you must pass it on (I just did). 
So, now I want to know, what's in your bag?


No comments :

Post a Comment