Saturday, May 16, 2015

Up-cycled Bookshelf

I found this little bookshelf at a yard sale years ago. I'm not sure if Little Man had even been born at that point. I think I paid something like $5 dollars for it, and we've used it for paint storage in the garage for years. Needless to say, it wasn't in great shape. Since Little Man is getting his big boy bedroom, it was the perfect time to tackle this project. (Again, I forgot to get a before picture! Gah!)
The joints were not glued together so I was able to take the screws out and paint one piece at a time. I roughed it up with sand paper before painting. Then I used a roller instead of a paint brush, and I'm telling you, I will never paint another piece of furniture by brush again if I can help it! Using the roller was amazing. The paint went on so smooth and quickly. I'm a big fan! 


I was lucky to have a bright, sunny SoFlo day. My paint dried right away! 



Reassembly was a piece of cake! After I got everything put away on the shelves, it still looked a little bare....what to do???

I took a little trip to JoAnn Fabrics and picked up some gray/silver vinyl adhesive paper for my mom's Criket machine (it's a dream!) 

I chose gray because the walls in Little Man's new bedroom are gray (Valspar's - Comet Dust 5006-1A to be exact) and I thought it would go nicely. 

I love painter's tape, and I use it whenever possible. This time I used it to help mark the center of the board and to help me stay level. 

I love my yard sale find! I'd say the total cost for this up-cycle was less than $15. 

A perfect, personalized place for him to store all of his paper adventures. As Little Man likes to say, 'Once upon a time...."








3 comments :

  1. it turned out very nice! does his new room have a theme like his nursery did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does - All American Boy! I have some other posts coming soon that feature projects in his big-boy room. When it's finished I'll do a post of the whole room.

      Delete
  2. Great job. Doesn't even look like the same bookcase

    ReplyDelete